Our alarms went off at 8:00 am this morning. We need to be aboard our train at the Innsbruck train station by 9:27 am to Verona. Then get off the train and transfer at Verona to a train into Milan. Our expected arrival time will be around 2:30 pm. Beautiful blue sky this morning in Innsbruck and the air is so fresh and clean. Easy walk (already practised) to the train station except when we saw the Departures board part of the message for our train indicated CANCELLED. Yikes!
Went to the Train Info desk and was advised that due to track repairs/maintenance we would be taking a bus instead to Brenner which is located on the border with Italy. Phew.... Got seats close to the front and saw beautiful scenery of the Alps and villages on the mountainsides. Very much like Switzerland. Arrived at Brenner and tried to figure out which car to get on as we had First Class tickets. None of the cars were marked with the 1. Discovered there were no official 1 cars. Oh well, we had our own berth until just before the train got started an a couple of Americans joined us. Young woman with her Dad and we had an interesting discussion. She was going to start school in Siena and her Dad was helping with getting her to this Tuscan town. They were from Rochester, NY. They had attended a Bar Mitzvah in Berlin of all places...
We waited quite a long time at the Verona station as the train was very late. Uneventful trip into Milan after finally locating our assigned seats. The train was very busy. Countryside from the border was pretty much orchards and vineyards. From Verona to Milan, mostly another valley with corn and other vegetables. Super hot in Italy with no clouds and a little more muggy.
We arrived to a huge train station in Milan. Very busy with many large tourist groups. Glass dome above the tracks. We found the signs marked METRO and to go down below. Then outside the train station and down one more level where we purchased two tickets for 4 Euro total for the long ride in the Green M2 train to our station "Porta Genova". Hmmm, you are wondering about the title?
We had purchased our two tickets and they have a turnstile that requires you to put in your ticket and then the turnstile turns and mostly catches your bag. ;-) Got on the escalator to head down into M2 line and as we were getting to the bottom of the escalator the M2 train was just arriving. We wanted to catch it so in a hurry we pulled our suitcases towards the train doors that were just opening. As we were walking towards the now open doors I was getting pushed from behind by a couple of young women that looked like Gypsies. I didn't think too much of it as I thought it was just more rudeness from people in a rush. I got pushed around as I was getting in the car/jostled/shoved. Lana was behind me to my right. Finally got my luggage parked in front of my legs and the doors were beginning to close together. Just then the four young women got off the train and Lana looked at me and said "where is your wallet?" Weird that after jostling us now they were getting off the train and waited just as the doors were closing. I quickly checked my cargo shorts front right pocket where I keep my wallet. This pocket is protected by two buttons or at least I thought. No wallet! I turned and put my arm into the door to block it from closing. Lana pushed so I could get some leverage and I got out. Immediately the four young women were standing there looking at me. I looked back to the train and Lana was coming with both our suitcases off the train as I was worried she would have left with the train without me. I said "gimme my wallet back!" and walked aggressively towards them. The one woman made like they had no idea what I was talking about. It looked like one nodded to another and then she threw my wallet onto the ground. I stooped over and checked the cash, our La Scala tickets and other ID/cards I had in my wallet. They were all there! Lana grabbed one of the younger girls, but they ran off. The women that had my wallet ran towards the stairs. I chased after her yelling "thief". She stopped 1/2 way up the stairs. My adrenalin was pumping. I said "I am getting the police" and then thought I should take her with me. I grabbed her by the throat and then remembered to never touch a woman like that so let her go. She made out like her throat was injured. I carried on up the stairs to find some Police. I did find some by the entrance and told them I had been pick pocketed. I saw them check their video screens and one pointed out a scene so they knew. While this was going on, Lana had met up with the same woman who had returned to the platform and Lana grabbed her and punched her in the head. She ran off with the gang. Later, Lana showed me the cut on her middle finger knuckle. By the time the Police Officer and I made it down to the platform the gang had ran to another train line. Bystanders told the police they had run to the Yellow Line. Both our hearts were pounding as the Police Officer ambled towards the exit leading to the Yellow Line. I see now how people get involved in vigilante justice. I was so relieved though that I had my wallet back with all my ID and La Scala tickets.
In retrospect, I can see that they saw both of us in a rush with our luggage trying to get in the doors. By pushing me that took my attention away from figuring I was being pick pocketed. She undid the one button and had easy access to the wallet. Then, just as the doors close they race off knowing the victim would not be able to get through the closing doors. Thankfully, Lana was keeping an eye on me and figured it out. If I had not been able to block the closing doors they would have been successful. I was surprised they gave up the wallet, but remembered that the Police have this all under surveillance. I did know that the Italian train stations are known as a haven for pickpockets. What a way to be greeted in Italia! Lana can hear me "typing angrily" as I am still pissed off. Lana thought something was weird as they were pushing to get off the train just as the doors were closing when they spent the time before jostling us onto the train.
We are both still angry and elevated heart beats. Again, I feel so fortunate that we recovered my wallet given all my ID, cash and tickets would have been lost.
Getting pick pocketed is not our idea of a European adventure and we wouldn't wish it upon anyone.
We got off at the proper station and up into a very warm day in Milan. We pulled our bags along the street and over the stone bridge across the Navigli river (stream). About a 200 metre distance from the train stop. Lots of apartments and some restaurants along the stream. We are staying at the Art Hotel Navigli which is a 4 Star Hotel. We arrived around 3:30 pm. Got a map and ideas on how to get to La Scala tonight. In regards to dinner, he stated that on Sundays in Milan no restaurants will be open until around 7 pm. That won't work with us eating and then going to La Scala. We are NOT taking the subway to La Scala. Taxi will be easier, safer and less stressful for both of us! We have two complimentary tickets for a welcome drink tonight at 6:30 pm. I think we will use them as a drink is the perfect tonic! We have apple strudel left over from last night and some schweinshaxe/sandwich that will help relieve any hunger.
Lana is updating her Facebook with the pick pocket experience and we have a bathtub in our room that Lana cherishes when we travel. Plus, an extra pillow. The room is nothing great and not very big, but it is highly rated and not cheap in comparison to our other accommodations on this trip. Air conditioning unit works! :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment